Medical emergencies require a deliberate and rapid response.
Who to call:
- During working hours:
- Call the West End Front desk receptionist at x55101 or 275-55101 and state “MEDICAL EMERGENCY.” If there is no response, call 9-911
- The receptionist will page the LLE Medial Emergency Response Team (Emergency Medical Technicians and those qualified in CPR/AED and first aid).
- For those situations where it is obvious outside assistance is required, immediately call an ambulance through 9-911, then inform the receptionist.
- During non-business hours:
- Call 9-911
- They are able to provide guidance to the caller regarding the patient and UR Public Safety receives automatic notification from 911.
What to do:
- Provide the following information to the receptionist/dispatcher:
- Your name and the name(s) of the injured person(s)
- Your location
- Telephone extension from which you called
- Description of medical emergency
- Enlist help and stay with the injured person until help arrives.
- Render appropriate first aid for which you feel qualified. First aid supplies are available in all lavatories and in several public areas.
- While waiting for help, ask for proper medical procedures by phone.
- Do not unnecessarily expose yourself to hazards including fire, laser or nuclear radiation, electricity, chemicals, or bodily fluids.
- It is the responsibility of the hosts to brief visitors on these procedures.
Non-acute injuries are not “medical emergencies.”
- Emergency protocols should not be initiated for non-acute (non-life-threatening) situations; personal physicians should be contacted; colleagues may assist with transportation to a medical facility in non-emergency situations.
- If a personal physician is not available during LLE business hours, access to the University Health Service (x52662) should be considered.
- The Strong Memorial Hospital’s Emergency Department can be accessed when medical care is not available through your private physician or University Health Service.
- On-the-job injuries must be reported to Steve Stagnitto and Dave VanWey within 1 business day of the injury.