The Publications and Design Department at LLEFebruary, 2009
Preparing numerous conference presentations, operations manuals, monthly Department of Energy reports, and formatting all publications that are submitted from the Laboratory for Laser Energetics (LLE), the Publications and Design Department has earned the reputation of providing a high level of precision and an attention to detail, all with a quick turnaround. Made up of six professionals, the Department is the primary publication and design support unit at LLE, providing all print, design, publication, and website services. Individuals from around the Lab submit a variety of projects to the Department. A typical project involves the following procedure:
- Determining the audience and the specific objectives
- Identifying the appropriate appearance
- Proofing, formatting, and laying out text according to job specification
- Creating custom illustrations or formatting existing graphics
- Providing a production-ready manuscript or conference-ready presentation to the author
An internal review process consists of classification review, proofing, editing, formatting, and layout work. This process involves close collaboration with the department and the author until project completion.
Part of an ongoing process is the quarterly publication of the LLE Review, which began in 1979 to detail the activities and accomplishments of the Laboratory. Key activities presented in these issues include articles about conducting experiments to support the National Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) program and research into high-energy-density physics, operating the OMEGA and OMEGA EP lasers, and developing advanced technologies. The LLE Review also highlights professional conference presentations, research opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students, and the operation of a summer high school research program, which is the only university-sponsored laser laboratory research program for high school students in the country. All of the 115 LLE Reviews to date have been made accessible to the general public here.
In addition to the compendium of the LLE Review, the following LLE publications are also accessible on the Laboratory’s website:
- Monthly Department of Energy Reports detailing current LLE inertial confinement fusion program activities
- LLE Annual Reports detailing the Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Department of Energy; summarizing LLE’s progress on laser, optical materials, and advanced technology projects; reviewing the work on the OMEGA EP (extended performance) laser project and operation of OMEGA for the National Laser Users’ Facility (NLUF); and focusing on programs directed to the education of high school, undergraduate, and graduate students during the year.
- Inertial Confinement Fusion: An Introduction a book for readers of all backgrounds to learn about and share the excitement of inertial fusion research.
- List of LLE Publications
- List of Collaborative LLE Publications
- Presentations given at major LLE conferences