LLE Review 81 includes a broad range of topics that are currently being studied at LLE. The feature article examines the conditions under which direct-drive ignition capsules ignite. The authors identify inner-surface roughness of the DT-ice and laser nonuniformities as the principal seeds of instabilities that can potentially quench ignition and place constraints on these quantities by requiring a target gain of at least 10. Other articles in this issue include:
- A report on the initial performance of the high-pressure deuterium- and tritium-filling portion of the OMEGA Cryogenic Target Handling System.
- A numerical study on the principal sources of target nonuniformities for a cryogenic target when placed in a layering sphere.
- A description of target detection and shroud pull-sequencing aspects of cryogenic operations on OMEGA.
- An investigation of laser prepulse levels on OMEGA.
- A report on the design of dyes for improved contrast in Liquid Crystal Point Diffraction Interferometers.